How Much is it Worth to you?

The truth is many people love the idea of cohousing but can’t afford it. There are more in Europe since their governments help in the financing. Here in the US you have to cough up all the money and may lose it all as developers – unless you have an actual developer or buy a resale.

So, my question is how much is it worth to you?  Many spend whatever and even beyond their means.  That was my attitude. This is amazing, I’ll do anything for it. Thank goodness the bank brought me back to reality and I”m not hurt financially now that it went kaput for me.

I just saw a listing for a cohousing unit that’s basically the same as mine except the price – one and a half million dollars. Wow. That made me think. Would I pay that? Of course not, now. Maybe before I would’ve robbed a bank or something.

I know it probably matches up in the location but that seems pretty heavy. Many cohousers have some money but if you are talking millions, wouldn’t most millionaires want something more private? To fit the caviar lifestyle?

Then I heard that a friend has a friend who is a realtor and sold an island in North Carolina’s Atlantic beaches for one and half million dollars.

Your own island beach or a cohousing unit?

I know my anwer.

Before you play the lonely card, I’ve had more friends visit me here at the beach than ever before. And unlike cohousing, they are real friends. Guaranteed. Cohousing can’t promise that – just neighbors who may be the community you are looking for or may not be.

I guess for some, cohousing is literally worth millions.

This entry was posted in beach life, marketing in cohousing, moving in and out of cohousing, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to How Much is it Worth to you?

I’ve been looking at cohousing sites and they are expensive. I saw one advertised in Santa Fe and I do know that property values there tend to be on the expensive side. It looked nice, but beyond my means.

It can seem that people love the idea of cohousing and maybe there are a lot of start ups, but they take years to develop. It’s not something that happens overnight and I don’t really have a good idea of how many people wind up leaving or the reasons why, which is important. I wouldn’t want some sales pitch that glosses over problems. I haven’t found good data for that.

Some people have a greater need for privacy than others. Then there are people who interpret a persons need for privacy as a personal offense–the types who personalize everything. Some people seem deeply confused about what privacy means and interpret it as being “secretive”. I would definitely desire more privacy. While some of the cohousing sites suggest that privacy isn’t an issue, I don’t tend to believe that with the emphasis on community and meetings or even the architecture which is designed to create more interaction.

I did read, in one of the few articles that mentioned cons, that, “…cohousing can also be invasive and restrictive in regards to privacy and individualism. Because of the open nature of the communities where members are highly involved in each others’ lives, private news and gossip can become common knowledge.” I would hate that and it would create an environment of stress and distrust.

I’ve noticed in the past few years articles that mention it “takes a village” seem to vilify “America’s individualism” as being the culprit for their alleged “communities” not complying to their demands. “Community” gets used a lot, but it’s not defined and if it is it seems that it’s really about people who want government services or community services and think it should be “free”.

Having your own island sounds like paradise.

I think the fact that people own their own units is meant that there is privacy but walls can be thin and you see each other a lot and some people love to pass on gossip. I felt fine sharing my life not realizing I had returned to middle school and a few women used it against me to spread false rumors. The opposite of the working through conflict paradise I was promised.

It’s funny that you say that because it was similar to a comment made about an over 55 community that is being pushed at that demographic. Some people don’t mature. They may get older, but they act immature.

I’m private. At one time I did share, but I experienced the same problems. Life is too short to have to put up with and tolerate such garbage. I’ve been accused of being “too sensitive” and also of being “hard to get to know”. That reminds me of a story that I attended a party where I met the host’s friend. When I met her another time away from the couple’s influence, she exclaimed that I was not at all like the picture that they painted of me. Then she said, “I don’t think they know you at all,” She inquired, “Did they ever ask you a question.” Turns out before she ever met me they told her all kinds of things that were not true and in essence basically encouraging her to judge me. The man was arrogant and the woman insecure, but it’s too long a story. No, they didn’t get to know me and I could never get a word in edgewise as the man was a self-talking know-it-all. That relationship ended and eventually it did with their other friend (couple) as well.

I’ve also been told that I’m a “sweet soul” as well as sensitive and kind. I tend to feel that is a liability given people and their behaviors.

I’ve had a lot of experience with people who project, judge and indulge in all sorts of negative behaviors. I’ve read a lot of books about dealing with difficult people. Group situations don’t enthuse me much.

I forgot to mention that I do know about thin walls as I’ve rented previously. People can be loud, careless and obnoxious. You can hear more than what you want too. Home ownership can be a lot of work and a huge responsibility something a lot of people don’t understand until they take the plunge. Still after renting in different situations it’s preferable to me. I look for ways to make it more private as well.

I encourage people to rent at least a year at a cohousing so they can know the community before taking the plunge. However, the housing market has changed so buying isn’t the prison sentence of having a house that might not sell – at least for now. So, either way, rent or own, it is making a commitment but so many people choose to leave. Even the current spokesperson for Cohousing Association of America is moving out of her cohousing community and forming a smaller one. She didn’t say why but I would love to know.

“I just saw a listing for a cohousing unit that’s basically the same as mine except the price – one and a half million dollars. Wow.”

I saw a listing last week for over a million. The first asking price was $1.2 million. It’s a 3,400 sq ft condo. Then you have HOA fees on top of that and property taxes as well as gas/electricity and services. It isn’t along the coast, but next door to Boulder, CO, which is a progressive/liberal/wealthy enclave. The smaller units are spendy too and way out of my range. I’m certain they are constructed well, but at that price quite exclusive.

I’m certain there are many people who like the idea of cohousing. The reality of coexisting is a different story, but with prices like that they can talk all they want and pay their ideas lip service and be exclusive at the same time.